Wednesday, 20 October 2010
The College Program will ruin your life.
Yes it’s true. The Disney College Program will ruin your life. I’m not talking ‘Argh, I can’t handle this anymore’, I’m talking ‘Argh, I’m bored all the time as nothing compares to the last year that I have spent working, earning and living at Walt Disney World.’
That’s right the College Program will ruin your life. The thing is I wouldn’t have it any other way.
From walking into my brand new (very spacious) apartment at Patterson Court on the 7th June 2009 to pulling on my thoroughly used (and very uncomfortable) steel-toed Doc Martens for the last time on 2nd June 2010 while working in attractions at the Speedway in Magic Kingdom. I loved every second. Working in Walt Disney World was unlike anything I have ever experienced, and probably ever will. From the thousands of guests I met everyday from around the globe, to dancing and leading a parade around the Animal Kingdom Lodge lobby (where I also worked in merchandise) to the fact that everyday I only had to achieve one thing from each and every guest, a smile.
And of course working is only part of it!
Living in Orlando is the best. You can have the worst day at work but then come home and party with your new best friends from all over the World. Not only will the memories stay with you for the rest of your life, but so will the people and the hundreds of new best friends you will make. During my program I got the chance to take vacation and visit friends as far Costa Rica to Cancun, Miami to Michigan and even Argentina. This is an experience that will not only affect you for the summer or for the year that you are there, it will stay with you for the rest of your life.
I would like to thank Yummy Jobs so much for offering this opportunity and making it possible. They supported me every step of the way, always staying in contact and providing speedy responses to any questions that I had. I am so grateful for all the help they gave and, of course, presenting this program in the first place!
So either if you are completely unsure whether to do the program or just on the edge of applying, my advice is JUST DO IT! Honestly you will not regret it. Yummy Jobs will support you all the way and above all gaining new friends from all over the World, working in the World’s number one tourist destination and, of course, making dreams come true (genuinely, you actually do!) and without sounding too clichéd, it really is so hard to explain just how good this program is to anyone who hasn’t done it, how much of an adventure it is and how much fun, not only I had, but you will have. It is the best. So why not do it yourself and find out how it can ruin your life as well.
Thursday, 13 May 2010
So apparently I just graduated. Wohoooooo!
I'm almost certain as well that this will be the only time I will graduate wearing mickey ears, on a beach, in 30C.
Maybe it will be the best graduation ever? Who knows, all I know is that we were warmly greeted by the housing/college program team at Mickey's Retreat, collected our certificates and mickey ears, played a few games, won a few prizes, took some photos with characters, ate some free food, took some more photos, danced to the cupid shuffle and then threw our ears in the air! It was a lot of fun!
I think its a bit soon/I'm not really in the mood to do a whole run down of the program as that could take days and days but all I'm going to say is Best. Year. Ever.
Nick 'is now a Disney graduate' xx
Wednesday, 31 March 2010
Whoooooaa so I just realised today (30th March 2010) is 1 year since the interview!! How crazy! Anyway just had to say that. I can't believe what an amazing experience this has been, it's felt like I have lived a whole life in one year.
Anyhoo just had to say that and now I'm going to go back to trying to update this darn thing...here are a couple of piccys of costumes I've had to wear. Have a good ol' laugh.
...many photos and memories to come...
Lots of loveee
Wednesday, 23 December 2009
Woooo so we actually did it---Skydived from 15,000 feet!
Here are some pictures and then the video that they gave to us at the end. It was such a thrill, I really can't explain the feeling of when they open the small plastic door and you shift towards it, carefully placing your feet right on the edge of the step ready to jump out. I could only look down at the ground and try to take it all in. The instructor tells you to lean back and forth 3 times then you 'fall' out. My mind just went blank! I was holding onto the side of the door with the wind rushing all around me, then I heard 'go' and the next part I was falling from a plane and heading 126mph towards the ground! I will never forget it and definitely recommend it!
Saturday, 5 December 2009
Soooo other than that video I haven't updated this in a while (I seem to say that quite a lot on here!) so not to bore you, here is a quick summary in the life of Nick for the last month or so:
1) Happy Thanksgiving! It was thanksgiving here and we had a turkey dinner at work! Yay! Other than that it was just like any other day...Sorry Americans.
2) The day after Thanksgiving was Black Friday. Me and Monika finished work at 1230 and after a normally 15 minute drive home taking over an hour due to the crazy traffic we decided to go shopping! Black Friday is when all the shops have sales starting from midnight so we eventually got home and went to the outlet mall at 2am...It was the busiest I'd ever seen it although sales weren't as great as I was expecting. Bearing in mind I had to get to work at 8 we managed to get back home by 6am...eek. (the next day was not fun!)
3) Would you believe it I brought a scarf! And actually wore it. In Florida. Here is a picture:
4) We saw the Blue Man Group on Monday...Wow. It was so funny, Karen got chosen to go up on stage and sit next to them. The music was amazing, we didn't stop laughing and we only paid $32! Love it!
5) Work might be getting busier and busier but I'm getting more bored...We find out where we will move to by the 23rd...I can't wait! And some people are extending for another 6 months yay!
6) I got a new nametag! haha Sevenoaks is now spelt correctly!
7) We have decorated our apartment! Wooooo! $100 well spent at, where else, but our friends at Wal-mart!
8) So after earning our 'Ducktorate' last semester I am now the proud owner of a 'Mouseters' degree....hmmm
9) This Monday and Tuesday I'm going to Miami for the night annnnnd guess what, the week after I'm going skydiving Aaaarggghhh! Brace yourself for a video from that!
10) I need another haircut. Hello Wal-mart.
Well I think that's about it! Merry Christmas folks!